Dec. 13, 2021
How I want to set up this web site
- Subdirectories of web root are independent sub-sites
- nexus directory is on-line common-place (call it "cave"?)
- nexus subdirectories for projects/topics
- Articles in plain text files (org or md), or HTML (may be served directly from gopher)
- Wrap article content in HTML for header, footer
- Index pages for nexus subdirectories generated in the image of MUD room with title, description, contents (files), obvious exits (links to other subdirectories)
- Stream of Consciousness (SOC): microblog system from ~town records brief thoughts/notes in root and subdirectories. Recent entries displayed in "Whispers" section of each index page. On root index "Echoing Whispers" section displays recent SOC entries from root and subdirectories plus updated files.
- … or Shell script/Perl/M4/Elisp?
- Static web page generation
- Serve text files and other resources without DB
- No dependencies on content directory structure
- Support content in either plain text or HTML
- Minimal dependencies on content mark-up (plain text files should be readable and easily handled in text editor)
Nov. 18, 2021
I really smashed the snooze button on this web site reawakening!
During the three years that I've been neglecting this blog, I did manage to switch connections to HTTPS. The rest of the items on the September 2018 to-do list still need to be taken care of one way or another.
I still like the general appearance of this prototype page, so I will likely maintain it with just a few tweaks. Add links to more of my stuff. Apply this style to major pages. Adapt and integrate microblogging tools soc and tir. Automation. Dream on …
Hopefully, more to come.
Sep. 8, 2018
Still under construction. A lot of things to figure out for a minimal web site.
- Restructure site to segregate original content from others' content and subsites that shouldn't be scanned for the web feed.
- Complete and schedule ‘euell’ web feed generator.
- Set up and schedule Planet SDF using ‘pluto’ or ‘rawdog’.
- Switch site to HTTPS. (Does leaving public read-only pages accessible with HTTP have any merit?)
- Add private subsites requiring user log-in. (Assuming Basic Authentication over HTTPS is secure enough.)
- Distribution/back-up/version control: Create per-project
GIT repositories so that I can work on and share files from
- Can a GIT repository be made read-accessible via a “http(s)://...” URL by simply placing the repo in a web-served directory?
- Repos will be readable public or authorized-user-only (my-eyes-only is subset of auth'd users). (HTTPS)
- Repos updateable only by me. (SSH).
- Schedule cron jobs to push/pull updates from updatable repos to web-accessible repos
Aug. 25 - Sep. 1, 2018
Thou shalt send forth thy spirit, and they shall be created: and thou shalt renew the face of the earth. — Ps. 103:30 DRB
For years I have been wanting to collect and arrange all the bits and pieces of things I have put on the World-Wide Web and create a nice portal to help me remember and find stuff, and be a public entrance for the brave souls with the interest and courage to venture into the dark and obscure recesses of my on-line brain.
Here it is. Let me know what you think.